View Single Post

Old 01-08-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydeyrch View Post
I am going to reinstall and NOT select a graphics driver, lets see what happens. :-)
This is actually the ideal way of installing for first time installs with any new distro as selecting too many things might cause unfriendly results and then it isn't easily known where the actual problem lies.

If the display issue keeps up you may want to go ahead and delete the ATI kexts so we can fix the issue after having a normal boot working. To do this in single-user mode type in -s as a boot flag then after it boots:
Code:
/sbin/mount -uw /
cd /System/Library/
mkdir /Users/[your home folder]/Desktop/ATI
cp -Rf Extensions/ATI* /Users/[your home folder]/Desktop/ATI/      don't forget the "/" here
rm -Rf Extensions/ATI*
rm -Rf Extensions/GeForce*
rm -Rf Extensions/NVDA*
rm -Rf Extensions.*
reboot
(you can also fix the permissions before you reboot but you shouldn't need to unless you've done some other modifications to the Extensions folder... I've also included the GeForce and NVDA kexts/bundles above because you won't need these with your graphics card. Sometimes these cause issues even without a GeForce/nVidia card in place))

You should get the default resolution without QE support (check your Display in System Profiler). You can now extract the actual Apple ATI kexts (if those on the install DVD weren't the correct ones for ATI already). Download a combo update directly from Apple's Download site:

hxxp://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/

(replace the "xx" with "tt" yourself as I didn't want to link to this directly from the forum on purpose)
Grab one that is a post-10.5.2 combo update but don't install it. Get a copy of Pacifist so you can extract the ATI kexts from within the installer. Copy these to another folder on your Desktop before copying them to your Extensions folder. Don't fix the permissions just yet (just to make sure we don't create a Kernel Panic like with the addition of NVDAResman.kext with nVidia cards... this actual worry doesn't apply to you, I just do it this way to make sure)
Reboot your system and startup again with the -s boot flag:
Code:
/sbin/mount -uw /
cd /System/Library/
chmod -R 755 Extensions/ && chown -R 0:0 Extensions/ && touch Extensions/
rm -Rf Extensions.*
reboot
Now it should boot up fine without any boot flags (unless there still other non-graphics related issues keeping you from booting up other than in safe mode).

Some notes with using the Voodoo kernel. Make sure you've got a good copy of a decrypter in place as this can also cause the spinning ball at startup (pre-login). If you need one, or any other file (I typically recommend 3 files: the AppleDecrypt.kext file I mentioned earlier, AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext, and Disabler.kext to counter the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext that Apple implemented and causes Kernel Panics... the voodoo kernel tries to blacklist this kext but I think Apple is making a workaround for this later so I include it) PM me and I'll send you some links to the ones I host.

I also recommend having the voodoo kernel as two files directly on root as when updating Apple will also update the kernel and if your default kernel is mach_kernel then you don't want to have this replaced and make your system unbootable. For this I will assume you've downloaded the voodoo kernel Release 1.0 Revision A. Open the image then open Terminal.app and type in the following:
Code:
cp /Volumes/Voodoo\ Kernel/Files/mach_kernel.voodoo /mach_kernel.voodoo
cp /mach_kernel.voodoo /mach_kernel
sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
If you use VMWare or Parallels you'll want your default kernel to be mach_kernel but if you don't use these apps then you might as well make the default mach_kernel.voodoo. One more thing... your Phenom is 64 bit capable so you might as well add in "-force64" to your kernel strings so it is supported at every boot. Save and exit the nano editor by typing [ctrl]+[o], [enter], [ctrl]+[x].
Now you can reboot your system to get full use of the voodoo kernel. Also, whenever you update with Apple Software Update in the future, remember to re-copy the mach_kernel.voodoo file over as mach_kernel in Terminal again.

How are you connecting to the Internet on yoour Hackintosh, LAN or wireless? does the onboard LAN give you any issues? sometimes disabling this and getting a separate card (listed in the HCL) may help to counter the ability to login to your system.

That's all the time I have for now but I'll look back in soon to check up more on your audio. Good luck.

Last edited by nfoav8or; 01-08-2009 at 03:48 AM.