InfiniteMac OSx86  

Old 11-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Cheetah

Install works, setup, not so much...

I used LawlessPPC Leo 10.5.4 and the install process went rather smoothly, actually the smoothest I've seen yet... then it reboots, gets to the setup process and first off, doesn't detect my keyboard anymore.. I'm using a USB mouse/keyboard (other distros have detected this with NO problem).. I go through the process of hitting the Z and ? keys, to detect the keyboard, it continues a few pages through setup and then gets to the part where i can transfer files from another Mac etc. I don't have any files to transfer so i select the last option (no files to transfer or whatever it says) and hit continue... this is where the problem comes in... it sits there for about 30 seconds, doing nothing, then goes ALL the way back to "Can't detect keyboard"... anyone else have this issue ... or maybe know what's going on?!

it would be GREATLY appreciated!!

thanks in advance!!

Merc-
Old 11-08-2008, 07:25 PM

This loop can be fix by getting a compatible pci lan card or usb ethernet, or http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.p...dpost&p=958124
Old 11-08-2008, 07:30 PM

This is known as the Account Creation Loop error.
Quote:
How to: Install Error loop at account creation

Issue: Upon install, the process hangs in an infinite (?) loop circling between chosing language and creating / transferring an user acount ("Do you already own a mac?").
According to the forum, the problem seems to be connected to problems concerning the network card.

Solution 1: Importing an account from an existing (Tiger) installation.

Solution 2: Booting with the flag
Code:
"Graphics Mode"="640x480x32"
The resulting low screen-resolution prevents the setup screen, thus skipping the "loop". As one is not able to create a new username, only the default "admin" is created. This can be changed later on.

Solution 3: Some people reported success with disabling the network card in the bios or disconnecting the cable.

Solution 4: Boot using "-s" flag then type:

Code:
/sbin/mount -uw /

passwd root

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

reboot
I recommend #4, but I have had success with all of them (note: my success with #1 was with an earlier Leopard install... not recommended for first time users).
Upon reboot you will login with root and the password you created. I recommend you set up your own user account right away and switch over to that so you don't accidentally mess the system up while in root (its so easy to do).

Old 11-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Cheetah

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfoav8or View Post
This is known as the Account Creation Loop error.

I recommend #4, but I have had success with all of them (note: my success with #1 was with an earlier Leopard install... not recommended for first time users).
Upon reboot you will login with root and the password you created. I recommend you set up your own user account right away and switch over to that so you don't accidentally mess the system up while in root (its so easy to do).
ok, got in and it's starting fine and all that jazz... now, however, i have no internet! i installed my wireless lan card, it's just not working... i also have ethernet cable plugged directly into the box.. and it's telling me that it's not there... odd indeed.. so close, yet so far! lol

any ideas on this issue?

ALSO... thanks a lot for the instructions on how to bypass setup! it's greatly appreciated! standing by for further instructions.. lol

Merc
Old 11-08-2008, 10:19 PM

during the install, did you opt to customize your install? if so, did you select the proper "drivers" for your hardware?

What kind of hardware do you have? ie. motherboard, wifi card, etc.
This will make helping you a lot easier.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Cheetah

error at startup...

ok, when it boots into desktop this is the error message

system extension cannot be used

the system extension "/system/library/extensions/IO80211Family.kext/contents/plugins/appleairportbrcm4311.kext"was installed improperly and cannot be used.

I am using a wifi card that needs the broadcom driver, I selected it via customize before install... I'm typing all this now via iPhone so... help!! LOL
Old 11-09-2008, 03:07 PM

Try extracting the IO80211Family.kext from the dvd and installing it manually. The package might be misconfigured somehow.

First show hidden files, the best way i found to do this without using a third party application is here. You then should be able to find the broadcom package on the install dvd in System > Installation > Packages. Extract it using Pacifist and install it using kext helper.

Hope this works!

Mac OS X 10.6.4 Retail || Intel Core2 Duo E8200 2.66GHz || Gigabyte G31M-ES2L || GeForce 6600 GT 128MB || Realtek ALC883 Audio || Realtek RTL8169 LAN || Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB HD || Sony Dual Layer IDE DVD RW DW-D22A || Apple Aluminium Keyboard || Mighty Mouse

MacBook Pro || 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo || 200Gb HD || 2Gb Ram || NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

iPhone 4 || 16Gb
Old 11-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Cheetah

Talking working...

i just went ahead and used my roommates computer, downloaded the kext, installed it, and now it is working, im actually posting this via Safari within the Lawless install.. everything seems to be working ok, having to download/install iTunes and Quicktime, will post more later..
Old 11-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Cheetah

updates?!

also, which updates do i need to be scared of from software update?! i know before, on another distro, i installed updates and it totally messed up my system! so, thought it best to ask here before even attempting anything silly like that!!

thanks again guys/girls for all your help! it's much appreciated!!

Merc
Old 11-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Cheetah

hmm..

Display:

Type: Display
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x03d0
Revision ID: 0x00a2
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Software
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

i need to boost up my resolution... it's doing odd things when i try to like scroll up or down a page... so, anyone know where i can get some awesome driver/kext information that will fix this problem?!

much appreciated!!

💡 Deploy cloud instances seamlessly on DigitalOcean. Free credits ($100) for InfMac readers.