View Single Post

Old 12-25-2008, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnellb View Post
If they win then Apple will have to allow OSX to be installed on whatever PC hardware the customer wants. No more kernel panics.
To be really honest, I completely disagree.

The above argument sounds like you are just mad that you can't always have OS X running on whatever system you want. OSx86 is about making it work despite those pitfalls. The lazy user just expects it to be done for them instead of doing the work (or research) themselves.

The reason I disagree is that Apple has made it a point that their OS was made for their hardware and have yet to make the complete effort to actually stop OSx86. They could do this but have actually made it quite easy (with early releases, leaked betas, etc.) for OSx86 to continue on as a hobby. The point that Apple is making by trying to stop Psystar is the commercialization of OSx86.

If you don't want to buy Apple hardware and you don't want to put the time in to learn how to make OSx86 work for you, go back to Linux (which is still a free ride) or to Windows.

Quote:
I'm not saying that they have to support the setup. They just cannot add things in OSX that tell it to look at the hardware and if it is none Apple brand then kernal panic.
They haven't. My system runs just fine on non-Apple hardware... and when KPs arise, I do the work to find out why and I fix it.

Quote:
All the ads about how OSX is better. I say let them really prove it.
Do they really need to prove any of that? Rhetorical question... no, they've already made hardware that runs Windows better than a comparable PC would. Read above again for more reason on this.

Quote:
Let them try to make drivers for all the different configs out there.
Why should they? We already do a well-enough job of that ourselves.

Quote:
Apple would bomb so quickly it wouldn't be funny.
How so? They've already made it work great on their hardware... and they are even extending their chipset line to include new technology (which will open big doors for OSx86 BTW) and yet still support their old hardware all the while.

Apple has made it easy to install and use Leopard by allowing it to run on hardware that dates back almost 10 years. Can Vista truly say the same with all of its hardware requirements? Don't get me wrong, Apple has their own hardware requirements... but not nearly as restrictive in terms of older technology.

Last statement I want to make... If you don't like Apple's policy, why bother downloading OSx86 in the first place? They haven't done what Microsoft did with Internet Explorer. I can easily uninstall all but the system software and still make my system run. This idea of an Apple monopoly just isn't true because Apple has made it abundantly clear by not going after the OSx86 community... just those trying to make some money off Apple's software (ahem... Psystar).

Good night and Merry Christmas.

Last edited by nfoav8or; 12-30-2008 at 04:18 AM.