View Single Post

Old 10-22-2008, 09:04 AM

Not to correct everyone, because booting with -v will def help diagnose, but I've done some reading over at InsanelyMac about the G33 Express Chipset on the Asus IPIBL-LB board and I am afraid to report some (kind-of) bad news. No one that I have found has been able to boot normally into the systems they have running now with OS X. All have to incorporate a boot flag (which really isn't that bad if you think about it) of
Code:
cpus=4
or
Code:
cpu=1
This is because the OS can't read in to the BIOS and see the four cores initially at boot which becomes a hinderance to people not knowing that the kernel panics are normal without the codes. Everyone that I've talked to and looked at also has used a variant of Leo4All as well, with version 3 being the best talked about and most useful for them. However I am going to work with the distro you've talked about having already... iDeneb v1.3.

When you are looking for the chipset to install for in your customizing, look for the ICHxFixed as yours also passes for this selection.

For your Audio, use the ALC888 fix that works for you in the end... with your system already being an 8.1 system, the max I think you'll get out of it all is through the 888 6 port (and don't select the digital out unless you actually have it).

For your Video, wait until after you've installed your system and have made sure it boots properly before fixing this up. There are many ways to fix it and I'll list a few here. The injects that were talked about in response to your other post (that after reading again now, I've figured out it was exactly like this one) were correct. Use Zephyroth's Universal NVidia Installer (PM me for the link) and make sure you select the correct kexts to install.
This should fix up your video with the Inject files... if you are looking for something more native and a little more challenging, we can talk about EFI later.

Now for a little more bad news. The few other posts I've read over at InsanelyMac talked about having to flash their bios to make it recognize the 4 cores (without the boot flag) but they don't have modded bios for your board (and yes, it is already on request) but I wouldn't jump off that bridge just yet... the cpus=4 is a perfectly good fix for it and can be written right in to your com.apple.Boot.plist file (which contains the kernels, flags, and device properties (if you used EFI strings). in Terminal:
Code:
sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
in the "kernel flags" string portion.

Hope this helps!

Cheers.

Last edited by nfoav8or; 10-24-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: edited for content. No links to non-opensource software anymore.