View Single Post

Old 06-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Cheetah

Won't load new kernel, weird SW Raid0 problem

Hey all, just wondering if you guys were able to help me out with a new problem I've encountered after updating to 10.6.4

Forgive me if this has already been covered, I couldn't find anything after googling for hours and this is the first time I've come across this problem.

I made a post over on Insanely Mac but hasn't had any responses so was seeking assistance here.

I firstly want to thank every one of you great people contributing to the community! A Hackintosh has been an awesome experience for me and has even inspired me to buy a real mac, a macbook pro.

Now, I recently setup software raid0 on my hack since my TB drive was filling up and I wasn't using W7 anymore so wiped my WD1001FALS's and striped them.

I followed all the steps from Chameleon and had no problem duplicating the necessary files for Chameleon to do it's thing and let me boot from either drive.

All was fine and dandy until I installed the 10.6.4 update and I had noticed it didn't update the kernel to 10.4 and upon further inspection, I was receiving 'refusing new kext' errors so it wasn't loading any new kexts either. I was tearing my hair out trying to work out why this was happening when I finally thought I'd try booting from the other drive, and, it worked. It loaded the new kernel & all the new kexts and my system was working as it should with the update.

I think a normal person would leave it at that and be done with it but I want to understand why this has occured. Why would it matter which drive I boot from? Well I opened up the Boot OSX partition on each drive and noticed one had the new kernel while the other one didn't. Could this be an error on Apples part? I mean, it's their software controlling the raid slices, all slices should have the same kernel shouldn't they? I copied the new kernel to the other drive though and it loaded but still wouldn't load the new kexts.

Here's the error from the kernel log:

Quote:
Refusing new kext com.apple.kpi.mach, v10.4: already have loaded v10.3.
Refusing new kext com.apple.kernel.mach, v7.9.9: a loaded copy with a different executable UUID is already present.
This happens for a bunch of kexts, I just chose mach.

I also noticed while trying to patch my DSDT to support shutdown, restart & sleep (failed on the sleep part) I noticed another error affecting the current drive which is.

Quote:
Sound assertion "0 == pciVendorProductID" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 3345 goto Exit
Sound is still working though as I use DSDT to get that up with the AD1988.kext so I assume this is because of the new AppleHDA? I don't get this error booting off the other drive (the one with the 'refusing new kext' errors) so I assume it's because it's not loading the new AppleHDA.

Sorry for such a long post, just wanted to give you as much info as I could. Here are my system specs too.

Quote:
Akshunhiro's Mac Pro
Snow Leopard 10.6.4 Vanilla with Chameleon
Asus P5K-E/WIFI-AP (Intel P35 ICH9-R) with Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
XFX8800GT 512MB
2x WD1001FALS in Software Raid0 + Pioneer DVR-215
Thanks in advance
Johnno.