View Single Post

Old 12-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Puma

Black screen and VGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwillett View Post
Summary of problem

1. I set the Energy Saver for the screen screen, not PC, to one minute.
2. Rebooted the machine and had the same black screen as I normally get after the update to 10.6.2. i.e. I can move the mouse but cannot see the screen.
3. Left the machine untouched for the requisite minute and the monitor clicked into standby as the Graphics card went to sleep. I know thats not the right phrase but hopefully you know what I mean.
4. Hit any key and lo and behold, my screen appeared instantly. No changes to kexts, uninstalls.

I think the black screen is related to some sort of power saving issue NOT the HDMI copy protection stuff that most people have looked at. Of course my guess is worth exactly what you paid for it, nothing

Hopefully this may help other people.
I have the same problem as you. I cloned my flawless system but the newer setup has only a VGA monitor (1280x1024). Here are my observations:

If I use the original DVI/HDMI/VGA (1920x1080) monitor using DVI or HDMI connectors, it works fine.

If I use the VGA monitor, I get the funny black screen.
If I hit the power button for a very short period, I see the login screen for a fraction of a second and then the machine goes to sleep.

If I hit the power button or any keyboard key or click on the mouse, the machine wakes up and I get the beautiful login screen and things work.

Idle sleep does not seem to work. The displays shuts off but the machine keeps on running. At least the fans were running.

If I force the system to sleep via the menu or the power button, the system DOES go to sleep like it should and wakes up as it should.

Switching to the DVI monitor fixes the login and sleep problems.

I have this wild conjecture that when I use the VGA only monitor, the display system is actually trying to use the DVI port and fails. Hitting the power button may cause it use the VGA port. But this may be my conjecture at 2:27 AM.