View Single Post

Old 05-04-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naquaada View Post
I'm using an Apple Remote by using an eHome-compatible IR receiver (f.e. from a Windows Media Center Remote) and the software mira. But that's something different. I know the IR Receiver Emulator Andy was talking of, it was neccessary to install FrontRow on a Tiger system. There also were patches that BackRow got a 'Quit' Option so that a modified Finder could be started. But I'm not sure if it's wort the effort, to get the same result build a hackintosh with a barebone hardware and add FrontRow in the login-items list. Then you also could use the Apple Remote with mira.

Oh yes, I remembered at these /dev/diskXsY modifcations. This had to be done with a hex editor, right? And as I remebered the AppleTV software created a lot of folders in the main root directory, looked rather nasty.
I don't think mira will work as it tends to map the remotes functions directly down to the functions being used and not the actual Apple remote IR conversion...
The other option is thus to mod the Finder.app also replacing BRFullScreenRenderer with BRWindowRenderer (to be able to switch with the keyboard to the OS with Apple key + tab)
Still you also need the Remote Emu daemon running to be able to use the interface...
I once made six little apps (1 for each button) which I mapped for the AppleTV.app with some tool which allows you to assign mouse functions for apps (mapping each mouse button needed to the proper button... needs 6 buttons on the mouse though...)
The apps where rather simpel... they just send the proper sysctl action to the proper kern. etc... function.
This way when the app is running one can use it with the mouse... (and it doesn't interfere with normal operations so the background daemon for the keyboard mappings isn't needed then...)
I tested this succesfully at the time on an AMD PC running Tiger 10.4.11