View Single Post

Old 05-04-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebKiwi View Post
Right... the story is.. The AppleTV hardware is essentially a very low end Mac, it uses EFI. AppleTV software is basically Tiger (10.4.7 If I remember correctly) with a fancy GUI. I know you can install a replacement Finder or "Backrow.app" in an existing Tiger installation, but what's stopping us from booting the full blown AppleTV OS on PC hardware? Wasn't PC_EFI capable of booting tiger? I have an Image of the AppleTV OS (update DMG pulled from Apple servers ), I am willing to do some experimentation.. input please
It is possible but you need a full image and a custom prelinked kernel...
ATV take2 is also possible (take into account that this is actually an embedded xnu 10.5.6 kernel...)
Extra kexts are also needed for HW support...
Also needed is to mod BackRow (with disc GUID inside...) and to remove the watchdog kext (or it will reboot after a very short while...)
Final step is to mod Finder.app (= BackRow.app) to patch the binary up so it will recognize the comp as being valid (branch if equal on some point replace with branch if not equal...)
For AMD there is also the need to patch up CPUIDs...
NOTE: The Finder.app from ATV OS can't be used with the keyboard as it requires an USB IrDA transceiver + Apple Remote...
There is however a workaround on this...
There is a remote emulation kext + daemon available that will let you map the 6 remote buttons to the keyboard...
As for the kernel I may be able to provide one built from my kernel sources so it will work just fine with AMD's and Intels + uses the custom dynamic linker (different build than standard Voodoo style dyld, uses different file for build...)

Last edited by andyvand; 05-04-2009 at 09:25 PM.