View Single Post

Old 06-12-2008, 07:49 PM

Here are some information about Zephyroth's Updater:

Removing temporary stuff

The AMD Updater leaves sometimes packages in the temporary folders, f.e. after an AppleScript crash. If there were downloaded a whole updates it can consume a lot harddisk space. To remove them, follow these instructions:

Go to a Finder window, press Alt+Shift+G on a Windows keyboard, Command+Shift+G on a Mac keyboard. A small drawer will pop up beneath the tool bar. Now enter the following path:

/private/var/folders/bs

The folders are invisible, so you have to go in there with this method. Ther you'll find a folder with a weird name, f.e. 'Bgghb6SmG38DYknkEAPGor+++TI' or something like this. You'll see this folder in the AMD Updater's log files, too. Check the folder '-Tmp-'. There could be some update archives with the suffix .tar, maybe also a file 'signature'. You can delete them. On my system I nearly every time have files left in this temporary folder, so take a look at it.

Watch the Downloads folder

You know that the Updates will be downloaded in a directory with the name 'Modified-PKG-' with the date after it. But the updates will be downloaded directly in the Downloads folder. This has a crazy result: The AMD Updater moves ALL package files into it's temporary folder, also the files in sub-directories! So don't keep any .pkg files in the Downloads folder, they will be patched!
But you can use this as an advantage: If you have a package you want to patch, put it into that folder. Keep one Software Update not installed, f.e. the AirPort Utility if you don't need it. Now the Updater downloads it to the Downloads folder and moves it into its temporary folder, including the one you packed into it! Now it patches the downloaded AirPort Utility and your package, and puts it back to the 'Modfied-PKG-xxxxxx' folder. I don't think this was supposed to be, but this is an easy way to patch packages!

2 Opteron systems: OSx86 10.5.8, Andy's 9.8.0 kernel, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Opteron 185 o'clocked @ 2 x 2,95 GHz (2nd system 2.6 GHz), ATI Radeon HD2600XT 256MB Dual-Monitor 2x HP L2035, 4 GB RAM, Griffin FireWave as main audio device, Marvell + nForce LAN, Asus U3S6 USB3/SATA6 card, 5,5 TB harddisk, Firewire 800 card, Apple Remote + eHome IR receiver, 2x Wacom serial graphics tablet, Canon Pixma iP4700, Logitech Internet Navigator wireless keyboard/mouse combination.

My Audio stuff: M-Audio Transit USB (default audio), M-Audio ProFire 610, M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge (34 channels) using Creamware A16 ADAT converter MIDI: M-Audio Midiman 4x MIDI interfaceBehringer Audio Mixers: Xenyx 1002, Xenyx 1002FX, Xenyx 1202FX, Eurorack UB1002FX, Eurorack MX1804FX, Eurorack MX262A • FX devices: Lexicon MPX100 DSP, Behringer DSP-1000 Virtualizer, Behringer MiniFEX 800 DSP, Behringer Multicom Pro MDX4400 compressor RETRO: MSSIAH midi/sequencer/synthesizer cardridge for the C64 (Dual-SID), Steinberg M.S.I. MIDI Interface for C64