View Single Post

Old 11-05-2008, 02:58 PM

AppleVIAATA, JMicron and AppleNForceATA over 4gb RAM bug solved!

I know this issue has affected many members here, i'm glad to report it seems to have been solved at last. Obviously post any driver feedback in the original thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashhack on InsanelyMac
Basically, the problem is when you have more than 3 gb of ram (some says 2.5 gb) and AppleVIAATA driver (I think JMicron IDE driver also has this problem).

In my case, I've got 2 IDE HDD and when I upgraded to 4 gb of ram, my desktop started to freeze, or give kernel panics.

After some hours of googling and looking for the driver to solve my issue, i finally made a custom driver that made it.

The problem whas that AppleVIAATA driver used 32 bits addresses to make DMA. In an environment with 4 gb of ram, you need 64 bits addresses. I've rewrited some code so that this kext uses a kernel api wich supports 64 bits.

I think the problem is solved. To generate kernel panics, i used Rember to test all memory, and while this was running, i started to browse mi IDE hdd. After rewriting the driver, i had no more panics!

FAQ:
1- DOES THIS MEAN THE BUG IS SOLVED?
NO! Need testing, i've finished 30 minutes ago and i couldn't test it as much as needed to say it works fine.

2- IS IT A REPLACEMENT FOR APPLEVIAATA.KEXT?
NO! It only solved my IDE problems (I removed some PCIID from Info.plist)

3- CAN I HAVE THE SOURCE CODE TO KEEP DEVELOPMENT?
YES! Just tell me where can i upload it (svn like google code) whithout any legal violation.

4- DO YOU KNOW HOW TO WRITE IN ENGLISH?
NO! I've done such an effort to write this post that i think i'm loosing my mind.

If you need some help, or have some comments, or find some bugs, just post in this thread.

EDIT: JMicronATA added. There are two options. One for debugging, in case it doesn't work. I cannot test them cause i don't have such hardware. Please post info and screenshots of kernel panics booting with -v debug=0x100

EDIT: AppleNForceATA added. Same options as JMicron. Not tested (don't have such hardware)

EDIT: Version 0.6 of JMicronATA, now with interal Icon displayed.

Source

Mac OS X 10.6.4 Retail || Intel Core2 Duo E8200 2.66GHz || Gigabyte G31M-ES2L || GeForce 6600 GT 128MB || Realtek ALC883 Audio || Realtek RTL8169 LAN || Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB HD || Sony Dual Layer IDE DVD RW DW-D22A || Apple Aluminium Keyboard || Mighty Mouse

MacBook Pro || 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo || 200Gb HD || 2Gb Ram || NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

iPhone 4 || 16Gb