View Single Post

Old 07-17-2008, 03:38 PM

7. Using the system

If you use the system, test new things always on the Recovery partition. If it crashes, restore it and try again or don't try this feature again. Use it only if it works stable on the Recovery partition. Your main partition won't be affected from this. If install bigger programs on your main partition it will be to big to backup sometime, so be careful at all.

I would recommend to keep more than one backup of the partitions. It can happen that there's a hidden problem on a newer version, but the older hasn't it. So you can restore the older one and try to avoid this problem. This is the reason why the Shared partition should not be too small.

The method with the backups also works great if you have rather compatible systems. I have four systems with three different boards, but all have nForce 4 chipsets and an X1600. I don't need to create extra installations, only write the images to the system and fix network drivers and settings (IP and computer name).

Make use of the Shared partition. It's called Shared at all because you have access to it from both boot systems. If you would f.e. only use the folder of your Leopard home directory it's difficult to access to it from the Recovery partition. Use it for quick downloads and as a temporary partition, so it helps to keep the desktop clean. You can add a folder Douments in where you create a notepad file. If you're using Butler you can add it in the menu bar and add a hotkey. I always keep a well sorted disk image on this partition which contains drivers and software which I need. It's also added in Butler, so I can open it with a hotkey. This is a screenshot of my Butler menu, if anyone wants the preferences files mail me, there are no private data in it.

2 Opteron systems: OSx86 10.5.8, Andy's 9.8.0 kernel, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Opteron 185 o'clocked @ 2 x 2,95 GHz (2nd system 2.6 GHz), ATI Radeon HD2600XT 256MB Dual-Monitor 2x HP L2035, 4 GB RAM, Griffin FireWave as main audio device, Marvell + nForce LAN, Asus U3S6 USB3/SATA6 card, 5,5 TB harddisk, Firewire 800 card, Apple Remote + eHome IR receiver, 2x Wacom serial graphics tablet, Canon Pixma iP4700, Logitech Internet Navigator wireless keyboard/mouse combination.

My Audio stuff: M-Audio Transit USB (default audio), M-Audio ProFire 610, M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge (34 channels) using Creamware A16 ADAT converter MIDI: M-Audio Midiman 4x MIDI interfaceBehringer Audio Mixers: Xenyx 1002, Xenyx 1002FX, Xenyx 1202FX, Eurorack UB1002FX, Eurorack MX1804FX, Eurorack MX262A • FX devices: Lexicon MPX100 DSP, Behringer DSP-1000 Virtualizer, Behringer MiniFEX 800 DSP, Behringer Multicom Pro MDX4400 compressor RETRO: MSSIAH midi/sequencer/synthesizer cardridge for the C64 (Dual-SID), Steinberg M.S.I. MIDI Interface for C64