View Single Post

Old 04-25-2009, 02:01 AM
Cheetah

Great guide thanks. Hopefully there'll be a "cleaner" solution eventually... VoodooHDA is looking promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dies
a.) It didn't work at all, no matter what, sound would only go to one output, the first one listed in the aggregate device.
this is what happens when playing stereo, os x doesn't have an integrated speaker fill option, sound is only passed to the correct discrete channel specified in the source media. did you try something such as a video file with ac3 5.1 audio, with perian set to multi-channel output? also, apple dvd player with output 5.1 thru spdif (digital out) ONLY have to use VLC for multi-channel instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dies
b.) Since I have no software volume control for digital out, that meant even if the aggregate device did work I would have no software volume control for the device.
it's normal for a spdif output not to have a software volume control isn't it? because the outputs aren't being handled in software, simply being passed-thru digitally.

I use 3 line-outs as an aggregate for 5.1, and still get no volume control (ALC888) i think this is a limitation of the aggregate devices.
But I came up with a little fix & i guess anyone else with this problem can use these steps to try to force software volume control:
1) Make sure each output you intend to use is set to full volume in sound preferences.
2) Set the aggregate device up as usual & assign speakers in Audio midi setup.
3) Using Soundflowerbed, set the 6 channels of the aggregate device to the first 6 of Soundflower16ch.
4) Select Soundflower16ch as default output & configure speakers for multichannel output in Audio midi setup.
5) Software volume control for your 5.1 enabled system

hope this helps someone...